Blog & Site Updates
11.12.17 Now I have started my art print project. The way it works is, you order a print and then you will be sent a confirmation email with a link to download it so that you can print it out, just like the ebooks. It turns out that some of the PDFs are so large in bytes that they cannot be emailed; naturally it's just better to get it directly once you have paid for it. The images are derived from some of the art I have created in the last 30 years, and there will be more once I have had a chance to photograph the rest. To me this is almost better than doing art fairs. Some of those shows are expensive, so it will save me some money to set up a gallery on my own. I hope you like what you see. ♦
11.09.17 It's official: you must order any print book by December 8 in order to receive it by December 24. This is the deadline established by my printer, not me. Anything ordered after that is subject to the vagaries of the weather and whatever timeline they have decided on for ordering after that. Shipments are likely to be slower. If there is a major snowstorm like there was last year, the printer may likely shut down to wait it out. I am working on ordering copies in order to have a supply over the winter months. But if I run out, I'll probably just shut down the product page to stop orders. I hope not, but it may happen. More news later. ♦
11.01.17 Update: because of my work with other marketing sites, I now have the ability to give buyers download URLS instead of delivering the ebooks by email. I had been struggling with this situation for months because some of the files are not supported by my email server; they are too big to send. But now, as buyers purchase a title I can just give them the link to download the file in the confirmation of purchase email. As I work with other marketplaces it will be a boon for those that don't support uploads for storage against a sale. Either way, it is now easier for everyone. BooRah! ♦
10.27.17 Another decision made: I moved the fiction and nonfiction book pages into the 1st level so that there are not too many levels of links. In many cases it is good coding to use only 1 or two levels, because the Google bot has a hard time parsing them. Thus far I have had to recode my other site just for that. In theory I will be working on Swords of The Dragon's Blood this weekend, so it will be ready to publish by November 15, if possible. I am still ruminating on the cover design so that will take some time. ♦
10.25.17 Today I had the unique experience of including text files of book excerpts, which appeared fine until I encountered one which, despite all efforts, kept coming up as a 404 message. After agonizing over the coding all day, I called in to my server and found out 2 things: file names should be in all lower case; and the folder heading should be contained in the link. The funny thing is that all the other text files came up anyway. On the advice of the senior tech I took steps to fix the coding, and discovered that all it took was a trailing slash removed from all files which were in a folder. All should be copacetic now.
10.23.17 In the last few days I have been busy revising the book pages by dropping all numerical references in their urls. It just did not make sense to have a number; I used to use ISBN numbers but then I also sell the PDFs and EPUBs, and the EPUBs had their own ISBNS. So, just the titles from now on. The catalog numbers appear next to their formats. As for the ISBNs, I am sure Google would like to have those but I have not found a way to display them as yet. I may be forced to post them on the pages as small addendums so that the Google bots can find them. More news later.
10.17.17 Today I tried uploading the file for the title's cover and the module accepted the file, yet the same problem happened. The upload module for that title refused to go through the proper steps to continue the process to revision. So I did some research and discovered that the "upload link" patch which keeps appearing shows the wrong email address to submit things to. There is not even an attachment link. So I emailed the main company at their email address and also filled out a complaint through the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully that will fix the problem. After that, it is only a question as to whether I continue to use that service for future publications.
10.16.17 In an effort to improve the appearance and quality of my books, I revised several covers to my fiction books and one nonfiction book. All passed through but one, for some unknown reason, and I have found out that my printer service had some "browser issues" when I called them to complain. Well, I cleared my browser cache and tried again. The revision solidly refused to pass through. After about 10 times in trying I gave up and decided to try again tomorrow. Hopefully they will have fixed their little problems by then. It's not something to panic over; however, the title in question has been a good seller.
10.11.17 Today marks the introduction of this blog, which it has been pressed upon me that maintaining a blog of some kind on this site would prove beneficial. Since I have been working hard on creating my books and associated products I guess it is incumbent on me to keep my readers informed on recent developments.
Contact me to comment.
Abusive emails will be discarded without a reply.